Current Affairs – September 2014
- In Asian Games 2014 at Incheon second seeded Sania Mirza and Myneni won the Mixed Doubles Title (Tennis) beating the top seed Hsien Yin Peng and Hao Ching Chan.
- Mr. Pankaj Mishra, Indian Author won the prestigious Donald Windham Campbell Literature prize in non-fiction category for the year 2014.
- G.K. Pillai has been appointed as the chairman of Tata International Ltd., which is the global trading and distribution arm of Tata Business Enterprises.
- Justice Handyala Lakshminarayana Swamy Dattu, Sworn in as the Chief Justice of India by the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee.
- The Union Cabinet granted its approval for the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. This is officially launched on October 2, 2014.
- Institute for Economics and Peace in London released Global Peace Index (GPI) for the year 2014. India came down by two ranks and has been positioned at 143 in the global rankings.
- In the World Bank’s latest Migration and Development Brief, India has remained the top country to receive inward remittance with a total of $71 billion just this year.
- The Himachal Pradesh State Tourism Department has launched an Apple Festival to display and promote locally produced apples and apple made products among tourists.
- Department of Telecommunications (DoT), Ministry of Communications and Information Technology set a cutoff date as July 31, 2015, for closing the much-debated merger of stressed state-run telecom companies, BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd) and MTNL (Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd).
- Mr. Narendra Modi launched the ambitious Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana, which aims to achieve comprehensive financial inclusion. On the very first day 1.5 Crore (15 million) bank accounts were opened under this scheme.
- The 18 year long corruption case against former CM of Tamil Nadu, J. Jayalalitha, reached its conclusion when a special court in Bangalore presided by Special Judge John D’Cunha convicted her under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- Hemant Contractor, Former MD of SBI has been chosen to head the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDM).
- Former CAG Vinod Rai has stressed that there is a need for selection of CAG under a collegium system on the lines of the selection process employed for Election Commissioners, Information Commissioners and Vigilance Commissioners.
- The renowned Hindi author, Mr. Govind Mishra received the Sarawasti Samman 2013 for his book “Dhool Paudho Par” published in 2008.
- Union Government announced 25 September as “Antyodya Diwas” to mark the 98th birth anniversary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay, a noted philosopher, historian and political activist.
- Hardeep Singh Puri was appointed as Secretary General of Independent Commission on Multilateralism (ICM).
- The International Economic Association (IEA) has appointed Kaushik Basu, Chief Economist and Senior Vice President of World Bank, as president-elect of the association.
- Dr Krishan Kant Paul, Governor of Meghalaya sworn in as the 15th Governor of Manipur. Manipur High Court’s Chief Justice Lakshmi Kanta Mahapatra administered the oath of office and secrecy to Dr KK Paul.
- Subhash Chandra Garg was selected as the ED (Executive Director) of the World Bank. The tenure of Subhash Garg will be for 3 years.
- To attend the gaps in health services government permitted National Ayush Mission (NAM). This judgement was taken in Union Cabinet chaired by Mr. Narendra Modi.
- To protect coral species and enhance tourism in Gujarat, First Coral Garden will be set up at Mithapur coastal region of Devbhoomi, Dwaraka District.
- Kenya’s Dennis Kimetto creates new world record in Marathon. He won the 41st edition of the Berlin Marathon in just 2 hours, 2 minutes and 57 seconds.
- Xi Jinping, President of China was called for Taiwan’s merger with mainland China, forming one country two-government system.
- World Health Federation organized World’s Health Day 2014 on September 29, 2014.
- An Indian Origin Girl has been nominated for International Children’s Peace Prize, 2014. This is the initiative of Kidsright children welfare organization, Amsterdam.
- Reliance Industries Chair person, Mukhesh Ambani topped the 100 richest tycoons list of Forbes Magazine.
- Indian Cricket Legend and former team Captain Kapil Dev was honored with Life Time Achievement Award at House of Lords, London.
- India became the 4th country in the world and 1st country in Asia to land on Mars. Mangalayan (ISRO launched satellite on Mars) successfully landed on Mars orbital on September 24, 2014.
- VG Mathew was appointed as CEO & MD of South Indian Bank for a tenure of 3 years on September 24, 2014.
- Hindi Movie “Liar’s Dice” is about to represent India in next Oscar Awards.
- Lt Gen Rizwan Akhtar was appointed as the new chief of Pakistan Spy Agency ISI.
- Sachin Tendulkar was awarded with Giants International award for his achievements in Cricket.
In case of any query please leave a comment below.
Like our Facebook Page for regular updates.
thank sir for sept current affairs update…
please help property mortgage animal fram loan. murshidabad. west Bengal. mobile-09647916519. please hlep
1500 PO Jobs. Already 1500 jobs Written exam is Done now waiting for Written exam Results can eceextpd on August End .now check below upcoming recruitment events in