Current Affairs – October 2014
- Noble Prize for Economics was awarded to French Economist Jeon Triole for his analysis on market power and regulation on October 13, 2014.
- Mc Mary Kom was chosen as the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of India Incheon Asian Games Campaign on October 13, 2014 at the felicitation of the winners by the sponsors Samsung India.
- Sir Schindler Nicholas Winton was awarded with Order of White Lion of Czech Republic by the President Milos Zeman on October 28, 2014.
- Central Government passed an order to merge NSEL (National Spot Exchange Ltd.) with FTIL (Financial Technologies Ltd. on October 22, 2014.
- Serene Williams won the WTA Single Champions Ship Title 2014 defeating Simona Halep. She won US $2.05 million prize money along with Billie Jean King Trophy.
- Anirban Lahiri won the Venetian Macau Open Title defeating Australian scott Hend and Thai Prom Meesawat. It is his second title in 2014 and fifth win on Asian Tour.
- Sania Mirza and Cara Black won the BNP Paribas WTA Final Double Title by defeating defending champions Peng Shuai and Hsieh Su-Wei. They won Martina Navratilova Trophy along with US $5,00,000.
- Australian Author Richard Flanagan won the Man Booker Prize 2014 for his novel The Narrow Road to the Deep Earth on October 14, 2014. This was the first time Man Booker Prize was open for all the authors in English irrespective of nationalities.
- Kotak Mahendra Bank introduced Facebook based funds transfer platform KayPay on October 14, 2014. KayPay was built on top of the mobile based Immediate Payment System (IMPS). It was launched by National Payment Corporation of India.
- Arvind Subramanian was appointed as Chief Economic Advisor (CEA) in Union Finance Ministry on October 16, 2014. He was appointed for a period of 3 years on contract basis.
- ISRO launched IRNSS (Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System) 1C, The third navigation satellite of IRNSS on October 16, 2014. PSLV C26 injected the navigation satellite into the designated orbit from the Satish Dawan Space Centre, Sri Hari Kota.
- Union Government launched Deendayal Upadhyay Shramev Jayate Karyakramam on October 16, 2014. The aim of the project is to ease doing business and provide productive environment to the industrial development
- Rajiv Mehrishi was appointed as Union Finance Ministry Secretary replacing Arvind Marayam. Now Arvind was appointed as the Union Tourism Secretary.
- Dr. Raghuram Rajan, Governor of RBI was awarded with Euro Money’s Central Bank Governor of the year Award 2014 on October 10, 2014 in Washington.
- Hudhud is the name of the cyclonic storm occurred in Coastal Districts of Andhra pradesh and Odisha on October 12, 2014.
- Indian Shuttler Ajay jayaram won the Dutch pen Grand Prix Badminton Tournament on October 12, 2014.
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRSS) released Global Health Index (GHI)on October 13, 2014. India occupies 55 position.
- Lewis Hamilton won the Inagural Russian Grand Prix Formula One race on October 12, 2014. Nico Rosberg stood in 2nd position in the race.
- Lyricist Sameer was awarded with National Kishore Kumar award for the yer2012 – 2013 on October 13, 2014. Madhya Pradesh Food and Civil Supplies Minister Kunwar Vijay Shah handed over the award to Sameer at a function in legendry singer’s birthplace khandwa.
- Khaled Bahah was appointed as the Prime Minister of Yemen by President on October 13, 2014
- Gautham Roy was appointed as the MD of Chennai Petroleum Corporation Ltd on October 14, 2014. Formerly he was the Executive Director Indian Oil Corporation (IOC).
- India will host the first leg of Asian Cup Archery Tournament in Delhi in January 2015. The second and third legs were allotted to Bangkok and Tehran respectively.
- October 15, 2014 was celebrated as Global Hand washing Day (GHD). The theme for the Day is Clean Hands and Save Lives.
- Venezuela, Angola, Malaysia, New Zealand and Spain were elected as non permanent members of United Nations Security Council (UNSS). These countries will reside as non – permanent members for a term of two years from January 01, 2014.
- India successfully fired first long range subsonic crucial missile Nirbhay on October 17, 2014. The range of the missile is more than 1000 KM.
- October 17, 2014 was celebrated as International Day for Eradication of Poverty. The theme for the day was Leave no one Behind: think, decide and act against extreme poverty.
- Indian origin Scientist Sanjaya Rajaram received World Food Prize 2014 on October 16, 2014 for his research which led to increase the world wheat production by more than 200 million tons upon the success of Green Revolution.
- WHO officially declared Nigeria and Senegal as Ebola free countries. Ebola first entered into Nigeria through Liberian on July 20, 2014.
- FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry) and Ministry of Commerce and Industry had private meeting regarding India – LAC (Latin America and Caribbean) investment on October 16, 2014 and October 17, 2014.
- Government allowed to launch National Ayush Mission (NAM) to attend the gaps in health services in slum areas of country.
In case of any query leave a comment below.
Like Our Facebook Page for regular updates on bank exams.
Leave a Reply