- Punjab Government has announced to launch biggest ever door-to-door campaign for early detection of Cancer.
- Canara Bank has been recently awarded gold trophy of Niryat Bandhu Award followed by Bank of India (silver) and Punjab National Bank (bronze). The award was presented by the President of India.
- Sanofi Indi pharmaceutical company has launched its first indigenously manufactured re-usable insulin pen ‘AllStar’ .
- Mohamed Nasheed, Maldivia country’s first democratically elected President has been issued an arrest warrant by the Maldiavian court beacuse he has challenged the legality of a criminal trial against him.
- Varsha Bhosle, daughter of the veteran playback singer Asha Bhosle, commited suicide at their peddar road residence on 8 october. She was suffering from depression and had attempted suicide on two previous occasions.
- Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit has stepped down making way for Michael Corbat. Pandit’s recent rifts and disaggrements with the board especially chairman Michael O’Neill has been termed as the reason for his sudden and abrupt departure.
- Satirist Jaspal Bhatti died in a road accident on 25 October 2012 near Punjab’s Nakodar town 40 km from Jalandhar. He was on his way to Jalandhar from Bathinda for Promotion of his upcoming Film Power Cut.
- The City of Hyderabad was named as World Third best city to visit in 2013 by Travel guide book Lonely Planet published on 22 October 2012. Hyderabad the capital city of Andhra Pradesh was described as “elegant and blossoming” by the Lonely Planet.
- London Olympic Shooter and silver medalist Vijay Kumar was honoured with the Services Best Sportsman award for 2012 at the Army Headquarters in New Delhi. He was also awarded with Arjuna Award in 2007 and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in 2011-12 by the Government of India.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh launched much awaited Aadhar-enabled service system. The launch, marking the second anniversary of Aadhaar project, is aimed at checking corruption and pilferage in schemes and to bring transparency in implementation.
- Recently World Food Day has been celebrated across the globe in honour of the date of the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. It is celebrated every year on October 16.
- The Union Cabinet recently gave its nod for setting up of the National Automotive Board (NAB). The body will be responsible for promoting the research and development activities of the industry and act as a facilitator in between the industry and the government. NAB would also be responsible as a specialized body to promote sustainable development of the Nation’s Auto Sector along with skill development for the automobile sector.
- The Folded Earth written by Anuradha Roy and A Free Man by Aman Sethi won the 11th Economist Crossword Book Award. The Folded Earth was successful in securing its position in the English Indian Fiction Category, whereas, A Free Man by Aman Sethi was successful in the category of Indian Non-Fiction books
- Recently, Newsweek magazines has announced that it would shut down its print operations completely and go all-digital.
- Recently, Tata Starbucks, a joint venture between Tata Global Beverages (TGBL) and Starbucks Coffee Company, opened its first store in India at Mumbai.
- The Chief Minister of Kerela, Oommen Chandy declared that Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) would execute the Kochi Metro Rail Project in association with E. Sreedharan in next three years.
- Indian Railways launched RailRadar to find out the location of 6500 trains on real-time basis on Google Map.
- Smt Tessy Thomas has been conferred the prestigious Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award 2012.
We will come out with such current affairs posts every month to help our readers to get updated for the General Awarness section.
LIKE our facebook page to receive regular updates about IBPS Recruitment.
Leave a comment if you have any doubts/queries/questions.