Current Affairs – May 2014
1) Air India announced to join largest global airlines network Star Alliance in July 2014. Air India became the first airline from India to be part of a global chain of carriers.
2) World Press Freedom Day was observed on 3 May 2014 across the world. The theme of 2014 year is: Media Freedom for a Better Future: Shaping the post-2015 Development Agenda.
3) Prime Minister of Slovenia, Alenka Bratusek resigned on 5 May 2014 and urged for early elections in the country. She resigned as Prime Minister after losing the leadership of her Positive Slovenia party to Mayor Zoran Jankovic of Ljublijana.
4) Waqar Younis, the former fast bowler of Pakistan was appointed as the national coach of the national cricket team of Pakistan for a period of two years.
5) Supreme Court of India banned use of bulls for Jallikattu (bull-fighting) events or bullock-cart races across the country. The court in its verdict said that even bulls have rights against torture and hoped that the parliament would elevate the rights of animals to that of constitutional rights. In its observation the bench said that an animal also has honour and dignity and cannot be arbitrarily deprived of its rights.
6) Virat Kohli was ranked no 1 in ICC list of One Day International (ODI) rankings released in Dubai on 4 May 2014. He remained on the top rank in batsmen list with 881 points and is followed by the AB de Villiers with 872 points.
7) A book entitled A Stamp is Born authored by C. R. Pakrashi was released by Vice President of India, M Hamid Ansari. The book gives a graphic account of history and evolution of postage stamps.
8) Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued the guidelines to allow the minors of age above 10 years to independently open and operate savings bank accounts and use other facilities like ATM and cheque books.
9) Nedurumilli Janardhan Reddy, former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh died in Hyderabad on 9 May 2014. Till his death, Reddy was a sitting Rajya Sabha member from Andhra Pradesh. He was elected to Rajya Sabha in 2009.
10) Ronnie O’Sullivan was crowned World Snooker’s Player of the Year at the sport’s annual awards ceremony in London. Apart from this, O’Sullivan was also handed the Fans Player of the Year award after being voted by snooker supporters.
11) A documentary film, Silent Screams – India’s Fight Against Rape directed by Pria Somiah won three awards at the 2014 New York Festivals International TV and Film Awards.
12) The Tel Aviv District Court of Israel sentenced former Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to six years in prison for corrupt practices in real estate projects.
13) The World’s first Electric plane named E-Fan successfully completed its first flight. The first flight was carried in Bordeaux, France. E-Fan was manufactured by the Toulouse-based Airbus.
14) International Nurses Day was observed across the world on 12 May 2014. The day is observed every year on the 12 May on anniversary of birth of Florence Nightingale’s birth. The day is observed to mark contributions of nurses towards people’s health.
15) Pranab Mukherjee, the President of India on 12 May 2014 gave his assent to the Whistleblowers Protection Bill 2011. With this assent, the Whistleblowers Bill, 2011 became Whistleblowers Protection Act, 2011. The Bill was passed by Lok Sabha on 11 December 2011 and by Rajya Sabha on 21 February 2014.
16) India will become the world’s third largest oil consumer by 2025 according to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA). The US Energy Information Administration (EIA) released its annual Energy Outlook on 7 May 2014. At present, India is the fourth largest oil consumer in the world behind the US, China and Japan.
17) Ashwin B. Pandya was appointed as the Chairman of the Central Water Commission & ex-officio Secretary of the Government of India.
18) MTS announced that it will provide free Wi-Fi in Gurgaon Rapid Metro Rail for six months. The service will be experienced by 30000 daily commuters. This service will enable commuters to access fast and consistent data speeds of up to 9.8mbps on MTS’ 3G plus network.
19) The Supreme Court judge Justice JS Khehar who was hearing the case of the Sahara Chief Subrata Roy in chit fund scam recused himself from hearing the case further. Now the hearing will be preceded by a newly constituted bench of Supreme Court.
20) Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council (PMEAC) Chairman Chakravarthi Rangarajan resigned on 19 May 2014. He sent his resignation to the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. He resigned following the defeat of the Congress-led UPA in the general elections 2014. Since the term of the PMEAC was parallel to that of the Prime Minister, hence with the resignation of the PM Manmohan Singh on 17 May 2014, the PMEAC also needs to resign.
21) Sir Jack Brabham, the three-time Formula One world champion died on 19 May 2014 at his home in Australia after a long illness. He won the F-1 titles in 1959, 1960 and 1966. In 1966, he won the F-1 title in his own car named Brabham, which was built by him.
22) President of India, Pranab Mukherjee on 18 May 2014 dissolved the 15th Lok Sabha. He dissolved the Lok Sabha on the advice of the outgoing Union Cabinet led by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who resigned on 17 May 2014. The dissolution of the Lower House of the Parliament will pave the way for the formation of the new government.
23) Nabam Tuki was sworn-in as the eighth (seventh as person) Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh at the Raj Bhavan in Itanagar. This is second consecutive term for the veteran congress leader. His oath to the office and secrecy was administered by the Governor Lt. Gen. (Retd) Nirbhay Sharma.
24) Nitish Kumar, the Chief Minister of Bihar resigned from his office. He tendered his resignation to the Governor of Bihar Dnyandeo Yashwantrao Patil after his party Janata Dal United was able to win only two seats of the 40 in the 16th Lok Sabha elections.
25) Naveen Patnaik was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Odisha for fourth consecutive term.
26) Pawan Chamling was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Sikkim for a record fifth consecutive time.
27) Montek Singh Ahluwalia, the Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission of India resigned from his office. He submitted his resignation to the Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh. All members of the Planning Commission submit their resignation to the Prime Minister who is also the Chairman of the Planning Commission. Since the term of the Commission is co-terminus with the Union Government term, hence all the members of Planning Commission resign as the term of the Union Government ends.
28) Jitan Ram Manjhi was sworn-in as the new Chief Minister of Bihar
29) Pranab Mukherjee, the President of India appointed Narendra Modi as the Prime Minister of India. Narendra Modi, the leader of the BJP Parliamentary Party will take a formal oath of the office on 26 May 2014 at Rashtrapati Bhawan. His oath will be administered by the President. Narendra Modi is the first Prime Minister of India who has born in Independent India.
30) Floating hotel named, AB Celestial, unveiled in Mumbai on 22 May 2014. It will be docked at Bandra under the iconic Bandra-Worli Sea Link. It will provide a 360-degree view of the city of Mumbai and the Sea Link. It will be open to public from August 2014.
31) Anti-Terrorism Day observed Across India on 21 May 2014. The day is celebrated as 23rd Death Anniversary of former Prime Minister of India Rajiv Gandhi.
32) Reserve Bank of India (RBI) directed all banks to install disabled friendly new Automated Teller Machines (ATMs). All the new ATMs that are to be installed after 1 July 2014 needs to provide audible instructions and Braille keypads to customers.
33) Anandiben Patel was sworn-in as the first woman Chief Minister of Gujarat. Kamla Beniwal, the Governor of Gujarat administered her oath to the office.
34) Spain suspended the 12th bull fight festival (called San Isidro festival in Spain) after matadors got injured by bulls.
35) Indian-American student Akhil Rekulapelli won the National Geographic Bee championship in Washington, USA.
36) Ahmed Maitiq was sworn-in as the new Prime Minister of Libiya.
37) Sushma Swaraj became the first woman External Affairs Minister of India. She was also been given the charge of Overseas Indian Affairs. Although, Indira Gandhi held the post of Union External Affairs Minister prior to Sushma Swaraj, but it was in addition to the post of Prime Minister which she held in 1967 and 1984.
38) China won Uber Cup 2014 of badminton. China team defeated the Japan team 3-1 in the final held at Siri Fort Complex in New Delhi.
39) TR Zeliang was sworn-in as the new Chief Minister (CM) of Nagaland.
40) Sachin Tendulkar was selected as the goodwill ambassador of 35th National Games that is scheduled to be held in Kerala from January-February 2015. The games will be held in seven cities of the state.
41) Mauritius decided to provide automatic tax information exchange to India. The decision was announced by the Prime Minister of Mauritius Navin Ramgoolam after his meeting with Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi.
42) State Government of Maharashtra decided to add a chapter on the cricket legend, Sachin Tendulkar in the school syllabus. The chapter on the iconic cricketer Sachin was added to inspire the children. The chapter on Sachin has been included in Marathi and English subject textbooks. The students of Maharashtra will learn about the iconic cricketer in Class IV as part of their curriculum from academic year 2014-15.
43) Hindustan Motors halted the production of India’s iconic car Ambassador. The Ambassador was the first car to be made in India. Hindustan Motors suspended work at its Uttarpara plant outside of Kolkata because of weak demand, very low productivity, growing indiscipline, large liabilities and lack of funds.
44) Japanese national, Hiroshi Naka was appointed as the Vice President and Auditor General of World Bank. The appointment was announced by the World Bank President Jim Yong Kim.
45) Mukul Rohatgi was appointed as the 14th Attorney-General of India. He will succeed Gulam Vahanvati.
46) Nripendra Misra, a retired IAS officer and former Chairman of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) was appointed as the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi.
LIKE our facebook page to receive regular updates about IBPS Recruitment.