Current Affairs – March 2013
1) India and Republic of Portugal Signed a Social Security Agreement. The bilateral social security agreement would help in taking advantage of the emerging employment opportunities and strengthening the trade and investments between the two countries.
2) John Kerry Sworn-In As the 68th Secretary of State of the United States. John Kerry succeeded Hillary Rodham Clinton.
3) Rajeev Shahare was appointed as the new High Commissioner to Maldives. He replaced replacing D M Mulay.
4) The Vice President of India, M. Hamid Ansari released a book titled Walking with Lions: Tales from a Diplomatic Past, written by K. Natwar Singh, the former Union Minister for External Affairs. In the book, experiences of Natwar Singh have been described in interesting approach. The book will enlighten the readers. In the book, K. Natwar Singh has put together 50 episodes which will entertain and inform the readers.
5) International Women’s Day is celebrated across the world on 8 March 2013. The theme for 2013 International Women’s Day is- A promise is a promise: Time for action to end violence against women.
6) The Parliamentary Award Committee selected BJP leader Arun Jaitley, Congress MP Karan Singh and JD(U) MP Sharad Yadav for Outstanding Parliamentarian Award for 2010, 2011 and 2012 respectively.
Arun Jaitley and Karan Singh are the members of Rajya Sabha from Gujarat and Delhi respectively. Sharad Yadav, on the other hand is a member of Lok Sabha from Madhepura, Bihar.
7) Neiphiu Rio, of Naga People’s Front (NPF) was sworn in as Chief Minister of Nagaland for the third straight term.
8) Mukul Manda Sangma of Congress was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Meghalaya for the second term.
9) The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee was conferred with the Liberation War Honour Award by the President of Bangladesh, Zillur Rahman. The award was conferred upon him for his contribution to 1971 war.
Liberation War Honour Awards is the second highest honour of Bangladesh.
10) Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, which is the state-owned centre of India, announced that it was developing the largest magnet of the world. This largest magnet would weigh 50000 tons.
11) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez died on 5 March 2013 at a military hospital in Caracas at the age of 58 due to Cancer. He died after battling from cancer for two years during which he underwent several surgeries and chemotherapy in Cuba.
12) Mukesh Ambani retained his title as the richest person of India for the sixth consecutive year with the net worth of 21.5 billion US Dollars, according to the annual rankings published by Forbes. The richest man in the world for fourth time in a row was Mexican business tycoon Carlos Slim with the net worth of 73 billion US Dollars.
13) Mauritius celebrated its 45th Independence Day on 12 March 2013. The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee was the chief guest at the 45th Independence Day celebrations of Mauritius.
14) India and Bhutan signed a currency swap agreement for up to 100 million US dollars to strengthen economic co-operation between both the countries.
The currency swap arrangement was signed between the Reserve Bank of India and the Royal Monetary Authority of Bhutan (RMAB).
15) World Bank Chief Jim Young Kim, who is on a three-day visit to India asserted that India is estimated to have grown 5 percent in the current fiscal and the growth rate is likely to improve to 6.1-6.7 percent in 2013-14.
16) Union Minister of Communications & IT, Kapil Sibal inaugurated the First All Women Employees Post Office of India at Shastri Bhawan in New Delhi.
The Post Office is called Project Arrow Office and consists of three counters. Two of the three counters offer Multi Purpose services such as registration, booking of money orders, booking of speed post as well as sale of IPOs. Other counter is meant to facilitate the sale of stamps. All the three counters will have only women employees.
17) Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar appointed as the governor of Nagaland.
18) The World Bank in the month of March 2013 barred Larsen & Toubro (L&T) from doing any business with it or the projects funded by it for a period of six months, as it found that a senior executive of the conglomerate indulging in fraud.
19) Blackberry India Managing Director Sunil Dutt, who joined the company in December 2011, quit from the company in the month of March 2013.
20) Late President Hugo Chavez who died in month of march 2013 after two year long fight against cancer named Maduro as his successor before undergoing the latest surgery in December 2012. He picked Nicolas Maduro as the presidential candidate of Chavez’s socialist party.
21) The United National Development Programme (UNDP) released its UNDP Human Development Report 2013. The report clarified that the South Asian Countries achieved widespread gains in terms of human development across the developing world from 2000 to 2012.
22) Bobby Ghosh, the eminent Indian Journalist was appointed as the editor of Time International. He is the first non-American World Editor in the history of the Times.
23) Researchers working on the accurate calculation of the distance of Milky Way to the nearest galaxy, led by Grzegorz Pietrzynski of the Universidad de Concepcion in Chile and Warsaw University Observatory in Poland, found the exact distance to our nearest galaxy. The nearest galaxy to Milky Way is called Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) and it was found that it lies at a distance of 163000 light years away or exactly 49.97 kiloparsecs.
24) World Consumer Rights Day was observed on 15 March 2013 for creating awareness in terms of consumer protection measures as well as consumer rights. The theme for 2013 World Consumer Rights Day was Consumer Justice Now.
25) The New Zealand Government in the third week of March 2013 declared the worst-ever drought in 30 years in the entire North Island of the country.
26) Chief Justice Khil Raj Regmi was sworn-in as the new Prime Minister of Nepal.
27) The new leader of the Communist Party of China (CPC), Xi Jinping was appointed as the President of China. He overtook the office from Hu Jintao.