Current Affairs – February 2013
1) MCX Stock Exchange (MCX-SX), India’s third full- fledged equity bourse after BSE and NSE, began trading in equities and equity derivatives.Its 40-stock index was named SX40. It will be a free- float based index of large-cap and liquid stocks, representing diverse sectors.
2) World Cancer Day is observed on 4th February every year. The theme for this year was Cancer- Did you know?
3) First copy of the book titled Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and Germany by Professor Anita B. Pfaff was given to the President of India Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan . The book was brought out by the Federation of Indo-German Societies in India. The President described the book as a tribute to Netaji.
4) First bionic man of the world called Rex was unveiled at London’s Science Museum. The bionic man was created using 1 million US dollar limbs as well as organs. Rex has a human face with brown eyes and a height of 6.5 feet. It was designed jointly with assistance from 18 universities and companies.
5) National Science Day is observed every year on 28th February. The theme of 2013 Science Day was “Genetically Modified Crops and Food Security”. The day is observed every year to popularise science and its applications among school and college students. National Science Day is observed in honour of Nobel laureate and physicist CV Raman.
6) Afzal Guru was hanged on 9 February 2013 at 8 AM in Tihar Jail, New Delhi. Afzal Guru was guilty of conspiring as well as providing shelter to terrorists who attacked Indian Parliament on 13 December 2001. Operation Three Star: Code name given to secret plan for executing Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist Afzal Guru.
7) World Radio Day was observed on 12 February 2013 to raise awareness about the importance of radio, facilitate access to information through it and enhance networking among broadcasters.
8) Asoke Kumar Mukerji was appointed as the next Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations on 13 February 2013. Mukerji replaced Hardeep Singh Puri who retired in February 2013 after the tenure of two years.
9) Serena Williams Became the New World Number One Women’s Tennis Player. Serena Williams (31 years, 4 months, 24 days) is now the oldest woman tennis player to hold number 1 ranking. She broke the record of Chris Evert (30 years, 11 months, 3 days) of USA.
10) Girisha Hosanagara Nagarajegowda, the London paralympics silver-medallist and Padma Shri awardee was appointed as the brand ambassador of nutrition company Herbalife.
11) NASA’s Chandra X-Ray Observatory Revealed Formation of Youngest Black Hole in our Milky Way. This youngest black hole is merely 1000 years old and just 26000 light years away from our planet. According to the data revealed, the distorted remains of supernova could contain most recent or the youngest black hole formed in our galaxy. The remains known as W49B are a result of rare explosion due to which matter ejects at very high speed along poles of rotating star.
12) Rajasthan Government Constituted a Task Force to Check the Spread of Swine Flu in State. The state had witnessed 148 cases of death and 834 positive cases since April 2012. A central team that constitutes of five doctors and microbiologist is on the state visit and would pay a visit to Jodhpur, Ajmer and Bikaner, areas worst affected from the disease.
13) Dabur India roped in Irrfan Khan to Endorse Babool Salt Toothpaste.
14) First Wildlife Skywalk of India to Come Up in Maenam Wildlife Sanctuary, Sikkim. This skywalk would be like the one in Grand Canyon in North America.
15) Kai Po Che, Chetan Bhagat’s Novel- “3 mistakes of my Life” based Movie Premiered . The plot of the movie revolves around three friends. Kai Po Che is actually a Gujarati phrase which means I have cut. It relates to the kite competition where a competitor after cutting others’ kite shouts Kai Po Che.
16) Samsung Electronics Launched Wifi-Only Galaxy Camera with Android 4.1 Operating System (Jelly Bean). The Galaxy Camera (Wi-Fi) allows the users to make use of the dual-band Wi-Fi technology which already comes embedded into this device. This allows users to share the pictures with others through social networks and emails from their device.
17) Ecuador’s President Rafael Correa was re-elected for a third term with more than 50 percent of the vote according to the election results declared.
18) The President of India Pranab Mukherjee conferred 2011 Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development Award to Ela Ramesh Bhatt, a renowned Women social worker. The award was given away at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
19) Ratan Tata, the former head of Tata Group was awarded the life time achievement award 2012 by Ernst & Young . He was given away the award for displaying great role for the Indian businessmen on global business level.
20) Two Blasts in took place in Dilsukhnagar, the busy shopping area of Hyderabad, the Capital City of Andhra Pradesh which claimed 14 Lives and left 119 Injured. The blasts were triggered using the Improvised Explosive Devices (IED), which were placed on two different bicycles at a distance of 100 meters from each other near Konark and Venkatadri theatres.
21) The National Capital of India, Delhi emerged as worst place in terms of key parameters of environment in the Environmental Performance Index (EPI). The Environmental Performance Index (EPI) was started by the Planning Commission. In 2011, Delhi ranked at number 26 and now slipped down to number 32 in 2012.