Current Affairs – April 2014
1) Nancy Powell, the US Ambassador to India announced her resignation in the US Mission Town Hall meeting. The resignation was submitted to Barack Obama, the President of US.
2) An Indian- American Cardiologist, Dr. Sumit Chugh along with one more researcher has been chosen for the Prestigious Simon Dack Award for Outstanding Scholarship. This award will be given to him in recognition of his contributions to the organisation’s peer-reviewed medical journals.
3) Myanmar started its first official census in 30 years. The census has been facilitated by United Nations Population Fund along with its donors, who have contributed 65 million US dollar. During the process of the process, the representatives will draw out information like childbirth and employment rates as well as migration figures. The last census was conducted in the country in 1983.
4) The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) granted in-principle approvals to IDFC Ltd and Bandhan Financial Services Pvt. Ltd to start new banks in India. These approvals have been granted under the guidelines on licensing of new banks in the private sector. The two have been granted the permission to set-up banks from a field of 25 aspirants. The approvals would be valid for a period of 18 months and within this period these firms will have to comply with the rules stipulated by the RBI.
5) The World Autism Awareness Day 2014 was celebrated across the world on 2 April 2014. This was the seventh World Autism Day. The day is celebrated to raise fund and to create awareness about autism.
6) The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its first bi-monthly monetary policy statement for 2014-15 directed banks not to impose financial penalty on the consumers in case of non-maintenance of minimum balance in their saving accounts. RBI suggested that instead of financial penalty, banks can limit services available to those saving accounts who fail to maintain minimum balance and restore the services once the minimum balance is maintained.
7) Dhole -The Asiatic Wild Dog was spotted for the first time in the Jaldapara National Park (West Bengal). Usually they are found throughout in south of River Ganges, southern part of Western Ghats and Eastern Ghats, Central India Highlands, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya.
8) President Francois Hollande appointed Interior Minister Manuel Valls as next prime minister of France.
9) Qatar based Doha Bank announced that it will be opening its first branch at Nariman Point in Mumbai in India. The branch in Mumbai will be opened as a full-fledged bank in May 2014.Initially, branch will offer retail and corporate banking solutions with emphasis on off-branch banking.
10) Europe launched a satellite named Sentinel-1A, designed to monitor Earth for climate change and environmental damage and help disaster relief operations.
11) Amazon launched an internet-connected TV set-top box or video streaming device called Fire TV. It costs 99 dollars and it is used for gaming. It will allow consumers to stream content from Amazon’s library, as well other video-on-demand services, directly to their TVs.
12) Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) recieved the Most Efficient Navratna Award for the year 2013.
13) The Indian Cricket Team was ranked as number one team in recently released International Cricket Council (ICC) T20 rankings. It replaced Sri Lanka from the number one position.
14) The Reserve Bank of India on 1 April 2014 adopted the Consumer Price Index (CPI) as the key measure of Inflation. It was adopted in the first bi-monthly monetary policy statement for 2014-15. Till now the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) was using Wholesale Price Index (WPI) to gauge and measure indicative inflation projections.
15) Election Commission (EC) confirmed Amir Khan as its national icon for the Lok Sabha elections 2014. The EC recorded a video and audio campaign which shows Amir Khan urging people to vote ethically.
16) World Health Day 2014 was observed across the world on 7 April 2014. The day provides an opportunity for individuals to get involved in activities that can lead to better health. The theme for World Health Day 2014 is vector borne diseases.
17) Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd announced to acquire troubled Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd. Sun Pharma will acquire 100 percent of Ranbaxy in an all stock deal for 3.2 billion dollars.
18) Archaeologists in the first week of April 2014 discovered a 3500-year-old inscription on a stone block in Egypt and claimed that it is the oldest weather report of the world. The discovery has been named as Tempest Stela.
19) Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Anja Niedringhaus on 4 April 2014 shot dead by a policeman in Afghanistan. She was killed while covering the 2014 presidential election in Afghanistan.
20) MS Dhoni, the captain of Indian cricket team on 4 April 2014 won the United Kingdom’s 2014 Asian Award for outstanding achievement in Sports.
21) A documentary entitled Gulabi Gang will be screened at the 14th New York Indian Film Festival. The documentary is based on the life of an activist Sampat Devi.
22) Viktor Orban was re-elected as Prime Minister of Hungary for the second consecutive four-year term.
23) Itanagar, the capital city of Arunachal Pradesh on 7 April 2014 received its first passenger train. With this Itanagar became the second state capital after Guwahati among the seven sister north-eastern states plus Sikkim to be placed on the railway map of India.
24) President of India appointed Justice Rajendra Mal Lodha as Next Chief Justice of India. He will be the 41st Chief Justice of India. He will succeed Justice P. Sathasivam.
25) The Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting announced on 12 April 2014 that legendary poet and film lyricist Gulzar was selected for the Dadasaheb Phalke Award 2013. He is the 45th winner of the Dadasaheb Phalke Award.
26) A memoir entitled the ‘The Accidental Prime Minister: the making and unmaking of Manmohan Singh’ authored by Sanjaya Baru was released on 11 April 2014. The book has highlighted the difference between the good governance and bad governance by comparing UPA regime under Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and NDA regime under Atal Viharee Vajpayee.
27) Cadbury India Limited announced to change its name to Mondelez India Foods Limited. Cadbury India Limited is a subsidiary of Mondelez International Inc.
28) A new software app Sandesh Pathak was developed to help the illiterate farmers. The app uses text-to-speech method to help the farmers. This application has been jointly developed by C-DAC Thiruvananthapuram , C-DAC Mumbai, IIT Kharagpur, IIT-Madras and IIIT Hyderabad.
29) Admiral Robin K Dhowan took over as the 22nd Chief of Indian Navy. He is a successor of Admiral DK Joshi, who resigned on 26 February 2014 taking moral responsibility of the accident on INS Sindhuratna in Mumbai. Joshi was the first Defence forces Chief to resign, since independence.
30) Vijay Seshadri won the prestigious 2014 Pulitzer Prizein the poetry category for his collection of poems entitled 3 Sections published in 2013.
31) President of India approved the name of Justice G Rohini (58) for appointment as the Next Chief Justice of Delhi High Court. With this approval, she will become the first women Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court.